Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity

Nov Oll 0101
Sr  Christines Jubilee
Outside Convent 001
20190815 194050

“An oasis in the middle of the city”

Categories: Eastside

The National Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes in Euclid, Ohio is a haven of solace and faithful connection. Set amidst 28 rolling acres, this scenic spiritual destination includes the shrine and grotto, which are replicas of the original shrine in Lourdes, France, where Mary appeared to St. Bernadette, as recognized by the Catholic Church. Over the years, buildings and facilities have been added to include a chapel, Rosary Hill, Stations of the Cross, the St. Ann Dining Hall, a prayer labyrinth and gift shop.

From its earliest beginnings to today—Catholics from all over the country, and even the world, have made a pilgrimage to the shrine, including school groups, bus tours, prayer groups and individuals, anyone who wishes to pray and attend Catholic Mass.

Lovingly maintained by the Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity, the majestic shrine and grounds come with a colorful history. In 1870, Mrs. Julia Harms, while saying her rosary where the Grotto is today had a vision of the Blessed Mother. Julia was told that she would have a child and soon die after the child was born. Julia asked her husband to promise that if they ever sold the farm that it would be dedicated for a religious purpose. Julia gave birth to her child and died two weeks later. In 1920, the property that was once the Harms Farm, became the property of the Good Shepard Sisters. These devout ladies visited their Motherhouse in France in 1922 and went to the original Shrine at Lourdes. Inspired to erect a similar one in the United States, they were given a piece of stone from the rock on which the Blessed Virgin stood. It was later divided into three parts—two of which are imbedded in the rocks at the grotto, where the water flows over them, and one is in the reliquary in the Gift Shop. The new shrine was blessed and dedicated by the Bishop in 1926.

Carrying on the work of the sisters, in 1952, another order, the Sisters of the Most Holy Trinity established their new Provincial House of the Trinitarian Order in the United States at the site. This Eucharistically-centered order embraces the apostolates of the redemption of captives and ministering to pilgrims who visit the shrine.

The sisters have also earned a reputation for offering religious retreats and celebrating Novenas, which are nine-day prayer services, four times a year, in February, July, August and December.

From the first Sunday in May through the last Sunday in October, also known as “Pilgrimage Season,” people can enjoy outdoor masses on Sundays, the rosary, Eucharistic adoration and other events, including French toast breakfasts, steak roasts, fish fries and a fall festival.

To take a token of the beautiful experience home with you, don’t miss the Gift Shop. Much more than an average religious store, the expansive shop carries a wide variety of holy cards, rosaries, medals, religious artwork, jewelry, indoor and outdoor statues, and arts and crafts made by the sisters. Candles are the best sellers.

The shrine and grounds are owned and operated solely by the sisters, 100% aided by private donations, which can be made directly via the website. Since the sisters took a vow of poverty, every cent donated goes directly to the 501(C)3 charity.